Food Supply and Societal Resilience
“What is the connection between food supply and societal resilience?”
Food is one of the foundational elements of human biology. Without sufficient supplies, humans will be cathartic and even die. Because of this, communities will need adequate food supplies to maintain their social cohesion. This is the connection between Food Supply and Societal Resilience.
How 5G Can Aid in Disaster Recovery
“Why would 5G technology help facilitate disaster response efforts?”
Data collection systems can help disaster response officials establish situational awareness. However, a lag in data transfer can hamper with these efforts. The advent of 5G can solve this by bringing faster data speeds and better internet of things connectivity, facilitating quicker and higher-quality responses. This is How 5G Can Aid in Disaster Recovery.
“How can economies recover from a recession using sustainable infrastructure?”
Investment in construction is a time-tested method in helping an economy recover after a recession. It allows for large sums of capital to be focused on projects that generate a large number of jobs and leave lasting benefits. Given the ever-pressing challenge of climate change, a focus on the construction of sustainable infrastructure would have the added benefit of preventing further damage from climate change. This is why a resilience and sustainability-focused Green Recovery would be a logical course of action.
Why the Increase in Extreme Weather May Offset Energy Efficiency Improvements
“How may the increase in more extreme weather offset energy efficiency improvements?”
With the advent of climate change, extreme weather is going to become more and more common. Areas that used to barely see a scorching day in Summer may now have to deal with weeks of extreme heat. This will make people more reliant on internal temperature control, increasing energy usage, and offsetting some of the gains made by energy efficiency improvements. This is Why the Increase in Extreme Weather May Offset Energy Efficiency Improvements.
Image credit http://www.weaa.org
“What is the significance of California’s AB 3155 bill?”
California’s housing crisis is causing more and more suffering to the state every year. However, a recent bill that was passed will lend its hand to ameliorate this. AB 3155 by Assemblymember Robert Rivas will allow for apartment buildings with up to 10 homes to be approved by city planning staff instead of having to go through public hearings in front of a planning commission or city council. In addition, half the homes on those lots reserved for first-time homebuyers for 90 days.
For some technical details about where the development can be placed:
- The development must be within some form of urban/metro area
- A site in which at least 75 percent of the perimeter of the site adjoins parcels that are developed with urban uses. Specifically, parcels that are only separated by a street or highway shall be considered to be adjoined.
- At least two-thirds of the square footage of the development designated for residential use
- shall remain available at affordable housing costs or rent to persons and families of lower or moderate-income for no less than the following periods of time:
- (i) Fifty-five years for units that are rented.
- (ii) Forty-five years for units that are owned.
The development must satisfy the requirements below.
- The locality has been underproducing affordable housing for the area
- The amount of housing at minimum percentage of below-market-rate housing based on one of the following:
- The project dedicates a minimum of 10 percent of the total number of units to housing affordable to households making at or below 80 percent of the area median income. However, if the locality has adopted a local ordinance that requires that greater than 10 percent of the units be dedicated to housing affordable to households making below 80 percent of the area median income, that local ordinance applies.
- If the project is located within the San Francisco Bay area, then the project must dedicate 20 percent of the total number of units to housing affordable to households making below 120 percent of the area median income with the average income of the units at or below 100 percent of the area median income. However, a local ordinance adopted by the locality applies if it requires greater than 20 percent of the units be dedicated to housing affordable to households making at or below 120 percent of the area median income, or requires that any of the units be dedicated at a level deeper than 120 percent. In order to comply with this subclause, the rent or sale price charged for units that are dedicated to housing affordable to households between 80 percent and 120 percent of the area median income shall not exceed 30 percent of the gross income of the household.
- If the project contains 10 units of housing or less and is subject to an inclusionary housing ordinance when the project application is submitted, the project satisfies the requirements of the inclusionary housing ordinance. If the project contains 10 units of housing or less and is not subject to any inclusionary housing ordinances, the developer pays a fee to the local government
- The development is not located on a site that is any of the following:
- A coastal zone
- Prime farmland or farmland of statewide importance
- Very high fire hazard severity zone
- Hazardous waste site
- Delineated earthquake fault zone
- Special flood hazard area
“How can environmentalism fuse with fascism in the most revolting of ways?”
In most political contexts, environmentalism and fascism are on diametrically opposing sides. The former seems to wish for humanity to live in natural harmony with the latter wishes for a particular group to conquer the world using exploitive military tactics. However, a new ideology is beginning to emerge that combines both of these into a whole. Ecofascism. Ecofascists believe that “lesser races” and “decadent lifestyles” are driving the planet to destruction, and that only through extinguishing these can humanity hope for long-term survival. Ecofacist movements today can be seen online in the social media sphere, the shootings at Christchurch and El Paso, and the current Austrian government.
Image credit cdn.britannica.com
“How can xenophobia be aroused by climate change?”
Xenophobia is present in all societies. However, with the advent of climate change, fear of climate migrants are only going to become worse and worse. This Climate Xenophobia will become a hot topic in the future.
Image credit compote.slate.com